The Summer Seminar of the Holocaust and Jewish Resistance Teachers' Program was initiated by Vladka Meed in 1984. The seminar is designed for secondary school teachers who implement Holocaust studies in their classrooms. The group of approximately 24 teachers visits historic sites and hears from survivors and prominent scholars.
- To advance education in U.S. secondary schools about the Holocaust and Jewish Resistance
- To deepen teachers' knowledge and strengthen their ability to implement Holocaust studies in their classrooms
- To teach each new generation about the Holocaust and Jewish resistance, so that they will know, understand, and never forget
- To further educational activities which use the lessons of the past as warnings for the present and the future
- Antisemitism in Europe
- The outbreak of World War II
- Life in the Ghettoes and the Camps
- "The Final Solution"
- Armed Resistance and Revolt
- Spiritual Resistance
- Reaction of the Free World
- The Holocaust in Literature and Art
- Post-War Impact of the Holocaust
- Present day antisemitism
Cost to the applicant is $2,500, which includes round-trip travel from Newark, NJ, trips to historic sites, hotel accommodations (2 to a room) and breakfast daily plus some dinners.
Payment is expected immediately upon notification of acceptance, at which time you will receive specifics on the program.
Participants must pay for their travel to Newark, NJ, Liberty Airport and back home again. The $2,500 fee paid by participants is greatly enhanced by the generous support of the American Gathering of Jewish Holocaust Survivors and other supporters, including alumni of the seminar. No scholarships are available for the participant's portion of the cost.
The 2017 Itinerary
The 2017 Summer Seminar will begin with a 2 day intensive orientation in Newark, NJ. The group will then travel to Germany and Poland. The 2017 Summer Seminar itinerary has not been finalized. Please check back here to review the confirmed 2017 itinerary.
Summer Seminar Applications
There are four pieces to the application for the HAJRTP 2017 Summer Seminar. These four documents are in Adobe’s Portable Document File (PDF) format. There are instructions below on how to work with PDFs using Adobe Reader. It is necessary to complete the application using Adobe Reader because all applications must be submitted electronically.
The first thing you must do is to download the applications. There are two ways you can download the applications from the HAJRTP website.
Before You Begin
In order to open these documents, you will need to download and use Adobe Reader. Adobe Reader can be downloaded at http://get.adobe.com/reader/. Adobe Reader is a free application.
If you already have Adobe Reader on your computer, make sure that you have the latest version. You can do this by opening the Adobe Reader you have on your computer, clicking on the Help menu, and scrolling down to Check for Updates…. You can also upgrade to the curremt version by pointing your web browser to http://get.adobe.com/reader/. (You should uncheck the box next to “Yes, install McAfee Security Scan Plus” on that web page, unless you do want to install the McAfee anti-virus program on your computer.)
Downloading the Applications as PDFs
Read the following directions below BEFORE opening the file below.
The applications are in a compressed zip folder.
- Click on the file icon for it to open.
- Click on the 2017 HAJRTP Applications icon to open the folder.
- Save the 2017 HAJRTP Applications folder where you can find it later.
- Open the folder 2017 HAJRTP Applications.
- Open each of the files in the order they are listed here.
- Do not save the application forms with their original file names. Use the Save as... function in the File menu to save the file with your last name inserted before the file name like this:
- YourLastName_Medical Application 2017.pdf
- YourLastName_Program Application 2017.pdf
Saving your files with the name change should allow you to open the file again later for editng. When you subsequently open these files and try to save them, a window will open telling you that you already have a file with this name. It's OK to save the file.
OK, now you can click on the 2017 Summer Seminar Applications.zip icon below to download the application forms to your computer..
If you have difficulty decompressing the HAJRTP Applications.zip file, downoad and install StuffIt_Expander_Windows or StuffIt_Expander_Mac depending on your computer's operating system. These programs are free. Don't purchase the Deluxe versions unless you want them.
Alternatively, if you have difficulty working with the HAJRTP Applications.zip file in Adobe's PDF format, you may downoad and complete the applications in Microsoft Word format. [Microsoft Word for Windows 365.] There are four separate files:
- Health Consent Form 2017.docx
- Medical Application 2017.docx
- Program Application 2017.docx
- Signature Validation Form 2017.docx
Click on each file's name above to download them to your computer.
- Please change the names of each application file to include your last name as in the PDF application above.
- Please complete these applications by filling them in on a computer rather than writing them out by hand.
- Do NOT change the wording of the applications.
Completing the Applications
1. The Signature Validation Form
The first form you should complete and return is the Signature Validation Form. This form precludes you having to sign other parts of the application since by signing this form you are certifying that the information in the other forms is true, complete and accurate to the best of your knowledge. Since you will need to sign this form, it cannot be submitted electronically. You will need to return it either by fax or by mail. Instructions on how to return this form are included on the form itself.
2. The Medical Application Form
This form should be completed and returned electronically. It is an Acrobat form which means that the various fields need to be filled in on a computer. Many of the fields will expand to include all of the information you wish to include. Please save the completed form as a PDF. Email this PDF as an attachment to email@example.com. Only electronically transmitted versions of the medical application will be accepted. Since you will not be able to sign this form, you must also have completed and submitted the Signature Validation Form. You should probably complete the medical application and share the information on it with your physician before he/she completes the Health Consent Form.
3. The Health Consent Form
Since it is possible to use electronic signatures with this file, two windows will open one after the other prompting you to validate signatures. Cancel out both of these windows. Fill in your name, save the file, and print a copy for your doctor to complete and sign.
The Health Consent Form needs to be completed and signed by your physician. Once completed, your physician should fax it to Elaine at 215-769-0229. Instructions on how to return this form are included on the form itself.
4. The Program Application Form
This is the main part of your application to the program. This form should be completed and returned electronically. It is an Acrobat form which means that the various fields need to be filled in on a computer. Many of the fields will expand to include all of the information you wish to include. Please save the completed form as a PDF. Email this PDF as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only electronically transmitted versions of the program application will be accepted. Since you will not be able to sign this form, you must also have completed and submitted the Signature Validation Form.
Submitting the Applications
Follow the directions for submission on each of the four application forms. Either attach your application to an email message and send it to email@example.com or fax it to Elaine at 215-769-0229. Remember, all applications must be submitted electronically.
Applications will be evaluated by a committee as they are received and spaces are filled on a rolling basis. Those who apply early have some advantage. All applications must reach our office no later than Friday, March 17, 2017.
Or phone The American Gathering at 212-239-4230
PO Box 1922
New York, NY 10156